FDIC Actions Stir Bank Resentment

I thought I would share two interesting articles from NPR. The first covers the banking sector/FDIC pain of covering the insurance costs of failed banks. Sounds like a familiar story. The article is here:


The reason I share it is that during many of the NCUA informational webcasts they fielded questions about whether banks faced the same dilemma. Clearly they do, but this article gives some perspective on scale.

The second article is called "The Anatomy of a Takeover." It profiles the FDIC takeover of The Bank of Clark County, offering an interesting insider perspective of a conservatorship, though in this case the bank was quickly given away to Umpqua Bank.

The article is here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102384657

One can imagine when reading the article how the WesCorp conservatorship went down. When I close my eyes I can see NCUA staff hiding in the bushes along Overland Court, ready to swarm, with Blackberrys poised like pistols.

Take note of the reader comments at the end of the article.

Happy reading!

Blog Archive